FALL has arrived! And with it comes some FALL prevention knowledge. Learn about falling facts, risk factors, and simple preventative measures below:
Ways to Prevent Falls:
1. Stevens JA . Falls among older adults—risk factors and prevention strategies. Falls Free: Promoting a National Falls Prevention Action Plan. Washington, DC : The National Council on the Aging ; 2005.
2. Alexander BH, Rivara FP, Wolf ME. The cost and frequency of hopitalization for fall-related injuries in older adults. American Journal of Public Health. 1993;82(7):1020-3.
3. Sterling DA, O’Conner JA, Bonadies J. Geriatric falls: injury severeity is high and disproportionate to mechanism. Journal of Trauma-Injury, Infection and Critical Care 2001;50(1):116-9.
4. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS) [online]. Accessed October 11, 2017.
5. Jager TE, Weiss HB, Coben JH, Pepe PE. Traumatic brain injuries evaluated in U.S. emergency departments, 1992-1994. Academic Emergency Medicine, 2000;359;7(2):134-40.
6. Hayes WC, Myers ER, Morris JN, Gerhart TN, Yett HS, Lipsitz LA. Impact near the hip dominates fracture risk in elderly nursing home residents who fall. Calcif Tissue Int 1993;52:192-98.
7. Denkinger MD, Lukas A, Nikolaus T, Hauer K . Factors associated with fear of falling and associated activity restriction in community-dwelling older adults: a systematic review . Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2014 ; 23 ( 1 ):72-86 .
8. Allison LK, Painter JA, Emory A , et al. Participation restriction , not fear of falling , predicts actual balance and mobility abilities in rural community dwelling older adults . J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2013 ; 36 ( 1 ): 13-23 .
9. Daly RM, Rosengren BE, Alwis G , et al. Gender specifi c age-related changes in bone density, muscle strengthand functional performance in the elderly: a-10 year prospective population-based study. BMC Geriatr. 2013; 13 ( 1 ): 71 .
10. Kabeshova A, Annweiler C, Fantino B , et al. A regression tree for identifying combinations of fall risk factors associated to recurrent falling : a cross-sectional elderly population-based study . Aging Clin Exp Res. 2014 ; 26 ( 3 ): 331-336.
11. Cohen RG, Nutt JG, Horak FB . Errors in postural preparation lead to increased choice reaction times for step initiation in older adults . J Gerontol Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011 ; 66A ( 6 ): 705-713.
12. Dhital A, Pey T, Stanford MR . Visual loss and falls: a review. Eye. 2010 ; 24 ( 10 ): 1437-1446 .
13. Freeland KN, Thompson AN, Zhao Y , et al. Medication use and associated risk of falling in a geriatric outpatient population . Ann Pharmacother.2012 ; 46 ( 9 ): 1188-1192 .
14. Quach L, Yang FM, Berry SD, et al. Depression, antidepressants, and falls among community-dwelling elderly people: the MOBILIZE Boston study . J Gerontol Biol Sci Med Sci. 2013; 68 ( 12 ): 1575-1581 .
15. Letts L, Moreland J, Richardson J , et al. The physical environmentals a fall risk factor in older adults: systematic review and meta-analysis of cross-sectional and cohort studies . Australian Occup Ther J. 2010 ; 57 ( 1 ): 51-64 .