Managing Pain: What Questions to ask your Healthcare Provider
Asking questions about your treatment plan is a great way to ensure that your health care provider
understands your goals and that you can partner in your care. These questions can help you start
• Why do I have pain?
• How long will it take for me to heal from this injury or surgery?
Self-Management Questions (What can I do?)
• What activities should I avoid?
• How can I speed up the healing process?
• How can I go back to what I was doing before I had pain?
• Is there anything else I can to do to feel better?
Medication Questions (If Applicable)
• Why are you giving me this medication? What will it do for me? How long do I need to take it?
• What will happen to me if I take this medication? What is the risk of addiction?
What is the effect of not taking this medication?
• Is this medication an opioid? Are there other medications I could take instead?
• Are there other options, such as physical therapist treatment, that I can try
instead of (or in addition to) medication?
Don't know where to start? Schedule an appointment with us at Reischl Physical Therapy to get assessed and to start living pain free!
Information taken from Choosept.com